THE FATE OF THE EARLY WHITE CLIPPERS
THE CENTURION end her days as a total loss in 1866.
THE WALTER HOOD was wrecked near Jervis Bay Lighthouse, New South Wales, on 27th April, 1870, when bound from London to Sydney with general cargo, her captain and 12 men drowned.
THE WOOLLOOMOOLLOO ended days under the Spanish flag and was wrecked in 1885.
THE MAID OF JUDAH was sold to Cowlislaw Bros., of Sydney, in 1870. In December, 1879, she left Sydney for Shanghai, coal-laden, with Captain Webb in command, and the following June was condemned and broken up at Amoy.
THE OMAR PASHA was burnt at sea in 1869, when homeward from Brisbane, wool-laden.
STAR OF PEACE, after being run for some years by Burns, Philp & Co., of Sydney, was converted into a hulk at Thursday Island, being only broken up in 1895.
THE WAVE OF LIFE was sold to Brazil, and sailed as the Ida until 1891, when she was renamed Henriquita. Finally she was condemned and broken up in March, 1897.
THE DAMASCUS was bought by the Norwegians, who changed her name to Magnolia. On the 1st of September, 1893, she stranded at Bersimis and became a total loss.
THE TRANSATLANTIC was rebuilt in 1876; in 1878 she was owned by J. L. Ugland, of Arendal; and on the 15th October, 1899, when bound to Stettin from Mobile, she foundered in the Atlantic.
THE MORAVIAN was sold to J. E. Eves, of Sydney, and ended her days as a hulk, being broken up at Sdyney in March, 1895.
THE STRATHDON, under the name of Zwerner, did many years service with the Peruvian flag at her gaff end. She was broken up in 1888.
THE QUEEN OF NATIONS was wrecked near Woolloagong, New South Wales, on 31st May, 1881, when bound out to Sydney. All hands were saved except one.
THE KOSCIUSKI, like the Maid of Judah, was bought by Cowlislaw Bros., being broken up at Canton in 1899.
THE NINEVEH was bought by Goodlet & Smith, of Sydney. She was abandoned in the North Pacific in February, 1896.
THE ETHIOPIAN was sold to the Norwegians. In October, 1894, when bound from st. Thomas to Cork, she was abandoned near the Western Isles. She was afterwards picked up 15 miles from Fayal and towed into St. Michaelís, where she was condemned.
THE GEORGE THOMPSON passed through the hands of A. Nicol & Co., of Aberdeen, and J. Banfield, of Sydney, to the Chileans. On the 13th of June, 1902, she was wrecked at Carlemapu.
THE CHRISTIANA THOMPSON went to the Norwegians and was renamed Beatrice Lines. She was wrecked near Umra in Norway on the 7th of October, 1899.
THE HARLAW was wrecked at Hongkong in 1878.
THE JERUSALEM, like many of the others, was converted into a barque in her old age. In 1887, she was bought by the Norwegians. On the 28th of October, 1893, she left New Brunswick for London with a cargo of pitch-pine and resin and never arrived, the usual end of timber droghers on the stormy North Atlantic.
THE THYATIRA was bought by J. W. Woodside & Co., of Belfast, in 1894. In July, 1896, when bound from London to Rio with general cargo, she was wrecked at Pontal da Barra.
THE ASCALON was bought by Trinder, Anderson & Co., in 1881. They ran her for nine years and then sold her to the Norwegians. She was wrecked on the 7th of February, 1907, at Annalong, when bound from Runcorn to Moss.
THE CENTURION (THE SECOND), left Sydney for Newcastle, N.S.W., on the 17th of January, 1887, at 1:30 a.m. whilst off the Headís the tugís line carried away; the ship drifted on the North Head, struck and then sank in 18 a\fathoms, barely giving her crew 15 minutes to get clear.
THE AVIEMORE was bought by the Norwegians. In October, 1910, she left Sandejford for the South Shetland where she was converted into a floating oil refinery. Later she was resold to the Norwegians, and I have a snapshot of her taken in Bristol in 1915, rigged as a barque with as stump bowsprit.