Lene Marie :

L.O.A. 106 ft.

beam 20 ft.

draft 8 ft.

crew 5 coastal, 8 offshore

engine 6/71 175 hp

Ghosting along September 1995, about 20 n.miles east of the cape cod canal. This is the last photo I know of with all the sails up, the poor fitting  mizzen topsail never put any drive on the boat so we used it only for photo ops. At the time the owner was flying around in his airplane snapping off  about 20 shots. I am on the bow with Lene Marie driving herself, a very rare thing to have the rig balanced just right for hands off sailing.

Offshore December 1995, about four days out bound Bermuda. Crossed the gulf stream the night before and the seas are dropping. the wind steady at 20 to 25 knots, with gusts to 30 knots. As you can see in this photo all I have up is a reefed down main as the weather report called for a North-Easter and as you know if you have to much sail up when it hits, it's to late! Later this day we found that from the stong winds and seas in the stream (south at 30 to 35 kts) the seas blew out about 10 ft. of seams and the rub rail on the starboard bow, leaving holes about 2 ft. total square. That night the wind dropped to about 5 kts. and at 02:30 Dave Butler (in the photo and presently on the Rose) woke me as the wind clocked around and increased to 40 kts. By 03:30 the wind was up to 55- 60 kts. and as I spilled the wind out of the main I watched the spreaders move in a 30 degree arch from the wind. A small smile was on my face as I knew if the rig didn't come down after that it wasn't coming down period. Down below was a different story, with the bow of the boat underwater half the time, water was pouring in through the skylights (at times there was 3 ft. of water on the fore-deck) and with the wind now on our port side, through the blown-out seams and rub rail. we had 2 110v drop pumps running  24hrs day and still had to run the big clutch pump and the big 220v pump about 30 min. per hour. 15 hours out of Bermuda we finally could turn off the last drop pump and pulled in to Bermuda 6 1/2 days from New York. I had a great crew for that trip and they were probably well motivated knowing my opinion about giving up- just not a option.

Jan 19.1997

From:

"d. meier" <drmeier@ibm.net>

To:

schoonerman@novagate.com

I found the story about Lene Marie entertaining to say the least- But it does raise some questions??? How come 30 hours later a salvage boat on the way to Bermuda stopped, boarded her, and found the main engine and generator running- clutched in gear and started making way for Bermuda? And there was no mention about the gas powered pump, the drop pumps, or the 110v ac pumps? With everything working Lene Marie was capable of pumping almost 40 tons of water per hour! The Bermuda run in late November is never going to be a easy trip, and Lene Marie had a history of "working" in bad weather, but a very seaworthy vessel, she went around the world twice, so you can see that I am full of unanswered questions-I would also like to say that this must have been scary experience for the crew and I am glad they are all O.K.!!!

Sincerely

Douglas R. Meier (drmeier@ibm.net) for the next two weeks at least

Master, S/V Zanabe

Former Master of Lene Marie June 1992 to July 1996

(four years and 46,000 n.miles)

INFORMATION AND PHOTOS ABOVE FROM Douglas R Meier



Info on sinking of S/V Lene Marie  ?

Date: Mon, 13 Jan

report to the Tallships Mailing List in January,

forwarding the quote from the Mate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~begin quote~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lene Marie Departed Pier 16,NY on November 9th 1996. The weather forecast had been for favorible winds for the next 5-6 days. 7 crew were on board, not including the cat. The plan was for Lene Marie to sail down to Bermuda and then continue on to Antigua. The vessel had just come out of a 2 month yard period where some replanking and caulking were done.All systems were checked out before departing.

The first couple of days were smooth sailing. Dolphin and whale sightings. Crew was having a ball. It was the first big passage for most of the crew. Into the third day seas started picking up and the wind shifted to the south. The ride started to get a little uncomfortable. By the fourth day seas had picked up 20-25 ft, short swells. Bilges started being pumped more frequently. That night after having an impeller problem with our main pump that took an hour to find and fix we found the water level had reached the floor boards.=20

The next morning I was awakened by a crew member alerting me that the headsails had ripped. Upon walking topside I found that our stays=92l and inner jib were flapping in pieces. In a futile attempt to bring more sail aft on the bowsprit a crew member cracked a rib when the bowsprit was submerged. Later a rip was started in the leech of the mizzen. Not long after that the horrible noise of an ailing main bearing was heard coming from the engine. With loss of sail, and the engine ready to go, which would mean loss of propulsion and clutch pumps we were faced with the decision of "abandon ship or wait out a night and see what happens. In a 25ft sea the decision was easy to make but hard to carry out.

A PAN PAN call was made to the coast guard. A C-130 arrived on the scene within 3 hrs. They made contact with a frieghter in the vicinity who informed them they would assist. The crew transfer over to the M/V ARCTIC was made via liferaft. Going along side would have resulted in a dismasting. The rescue went about as smooth as it could go. The freighter brought the crew and cat to Vlesingen(Flushing) Holland. Where our owners aranged for our trip back to the states.


~~~~~~~~~end quote~~~~~~~~~

She disappeared from Bermuda radar the afternoon after the rescue.

Sail back to SchoonerMan


SEA TALES BOOK

4/18/97