The Maryland Dove is a full-scale operating replica of the ship that carried
supplies for a 1634 expedition from England. Settlers arrived on the passenger
ship, the Ark. Both ships sailed from the Isle of Wight on November 22, 1633.
They were soon separated at sea, but came back together six weeks later at
Barbados. The ships stopped in Virginia before arriving at St. Clement's Island
on March 25, 1634. In August 1635, the Dove set sail for England loaded with
beaver pelts and timber. She never arrived in England and was presumed lost in a
North Atlantic storm. The replica of the Dove was built on the Chesapeake Bay's
Eastern Shore in 1975, using many 17th-century methods and tools. The keel was
laid in June 1977 and the ship was commissioned in 1978.