The "D.Fernando II e Glória", was the last frigate under
sail to serve in the Portuguese Navy and the last warship, on the
"India run" . This run was a regular military route that
linked Portugal to her former colony during more then three centuries,
since the sixteen hundreds. She was the last big ship of the Navy to be
built in the Damão shipyards, in this old Portuguese colony.
Her hull was of teak from Nagar-Aveli and, after her launching in
1843,Is now being restored she was towed to Goa where she was fitted out
as a full-rigged ship.
Built in 1868 by R. Hayes of Fairport, Ohio, the scow schooner Dan Hayes (U.S. Registry 35041) was first owned by Hayes and Fountain, also of Fairport. The vessel was 112 feet in length and 24.16 feet in beam,
A steel-hulled, three-masted, full-rigged ship. s built
at Nakskov Shipyard in Denmark in 1933. The masts from fore to aft:
foremast, mainmast and mizzenmast. DANMARK can be rigged with 26 sails
with a area of 1,632 m2 and can be rigged with fifteen square sails,
five sails on each mast, and ten staysails, of which four are headsails,
while the others are sails that can be rigged between the three masts of
the ship. Finally, the mizzenmast is rigged with a spanker.
This Gloucester fisherman, 123
feet, 3 inches over all, is one of the few remaining vessels of her type
in the country. Designed by Thomas F. McManus, the L.A. Dunton
was built by Arthur D. Story and launched from his well-known yard at
Essex, Massachusetts, in 1921. Built after auxiliary gasoline power had
become common in schooners, the Dunton was probably the last
large engineless fishing schooner (a few later ones were built primarily
for racing). The Dunton was used in the haddock and halibut
fisheries, landing her catches in Boston. was designated a
National Historic Landmark in 1994.